2011/10/25

Day 19: from Palenque, Mexico to Flores, Guatemala

I bought this cross-border package from the guy who helped translation when I filed the theft in the police office, but it turned out I was charged higher than other people I met doing this same trip from Mexico to Guatemala. A lesson learned, never trust people too easily and always have to shop around when you deal with local travel agency.

From Palenque to Flores, we first took a bus from downtwon Palenque to Mexico border, then took a small boat to accross the border, which is a river (or more like a wet land), and then took a chicken bus from the Guatemala border to Flores. I was charged 300 pesos for all the transportation. The guy told me, we have to stop by a place for breakfast, which is 50 pesos. Also, we have to pay addimission to a small village as we will step on the road of the village, (yes, it is illegal, but it is what I was told and experienced)which is 80 pesos. Together I paid him 430 pesos.

Breakfast at the restaurant
For the first time I tried the deep fried banana.  Most food are ok, but pan is really bad.
At the dock.


The view outside of my hotel.  In Flores, you must find yourself a place with view and it is everywhere at reasonable price.

This morning, only after I arrived the river, I met other people travelled with other agency, they paid only 15 pesos for the village and 70 pesos for the breakfast. So the price is really messy here. But honestly, this kind of things dont bother me at all. I care only I will be sent to the place where I want to be, not to be dumped at nowhere.

I read backpackers blogs and know some people also paid when they get in and out of Mexico. Luckily, I paid nothing for Mexico, as for Guatemala, I paid 40 Q (1Q=4 NTD) for addimission, and this is pretty common in central America.

I met a couple from England. They told me as I am travelling alone, they like to give me some advice, and when they said so, they have already completed a hand writing list, including what to see, what to skip, where to stay and where to dive at cheap cost in central America. Another girl from Canada invited me to share a room with her in Flores. We had a very nice dinner by the lake. Think I am really lucky today.

0 意見 :