2011/10/26

Day 20: Tikal, Guatemala





Tikal is the most important Maya ruin in Guatemala, and this is why I would visit it even after so many ruins in Mexico.

However, it is really pricy to visit Tikal. Ticket is 150Q (600 NTD), so expensive when u compare with 51 pesos for any of the ruins in Mexico. Tikal is 1.5 hrs from Flores, round trip cost for shuttle bus is 80 Q. Other people who travelled with me from Palenque to Flores all registered a 150 Q tour, including bus and tour guide.

The shuttle bus stopped at a restaurant outside of the site, where they got everyone to eat breakfast, and we realized the food there is also very pricy. The travel agency picked us up in our hotel at 4:30, claimed that to reach the site earlier, we could see the sunrise, but actually, it was totally bright when we reached the restaurant. So most likely, they just want us to spend in the restaurant.

I did not pay for any tour guide both in Mexico and Tikal, as I don't think I can absorb that much knowledge. Also, u can always find information on internet or Lonely Planet, and there are always free WiFi and Lonely Planet in hostel. The other reason not recruiting a guide is that I walk at my own tempo. Guides usually would try to squeeze ur time.

In addition to the ruins, Tikal is a good place for u to learn the biology. As I went to the site very early, I saw many animals, monkeys, birds and unknown animals, before they got disturbed by the tide of tourists.

Tikal is pretty much similar to the ruin in Palenque, it is inside the jungles. But both my roommate and myself prefer Palenque over Tikal.

It should be my last Maya ruin in this trip. There are also ruins in Belize, Honduras and Salvador. But I have to skip them, as I need more time for southern America. The rest agenda in central America will be natural scene oriented. Also, spare some money for activities like climbing a volcano, diving, or spend some luxury time in small islands and national parks.

















see how close the animals to you
They are everywhere in the site.




Various sorts of birds here, but very difficult to catch them, only one can share.

0 意見 :