2011/11/28

Volcano boarding at Leon Nicaragua


Introduction for the first team sliding down.


Safe landing.


Landing with one roll.


Sliding at 10KM per hour, very very slow

more pictures pls check20111127_volcano boarding at Leon Nicaragua
On the way up to the hill, all rocks!!


Get dressed and protected.


That is where we are going down.


See all the dust and mud coming up all the way down.


Some people may fall during the course.


so much rocks on the board when finishing the sliding


Look at the rocks in my shoes after sliding down.

The girl rolled five times when landing


This activity is ranked the 2nd most dangerous things must do before you die ranked by CNN, so I think I must do it though a friend who did it earlier got injury (please refer to the picture).

Later on, with more and more bad stories learned, you can imagine I went there with fear.   A girl who got scratch her entire leg cried all night, too painful to sleep, things like this are told among backpackers.

It is a bit tiring to move up to the hill, as you will need to carry your board, a cloth for protection and your personal belongings.  So I just brought a camera with me.  Comparison with other people, I am so tiny, but I needed to carry the same heavy board and cloth as them do.   Luckily, a cute French guy offered to carry my board for me when he saw me so struggling on the way up.

The road up to the hill is not too long but it is all rocks.  On top of that is the burning heat and weight of the facilities, it is a bit tiring, but it actually didn't take too long.

When we reached the hill, looking down where we gonna slide down,  I thought it is really scary.  But, as soon as you start sliding, you would realize, it is just not as fast as you think it would be.  The guide told us, if you want to go fast, you just lift your heels a little bit, if you want it slow, you straighten your feet and continuously tap the road all the way down.

When I thought, well, it is not so fast and not scary after sliding, I lowered down the frequency of tapping, but as all the mud came up, I felt losing of visibility, and then, I tapped faster again.  It turned out my speed is only 31 km per hour at the point when I reached the end.  I think I can do it much fast if I would have another shot in my life, as it is really up to you how fast you want it to be.

The highest of today is 75 km by a girl from German, the lowest is 10 km, and by a man, surprisingly.  I saw him tapping very very fast and we waited so long for him to finish his entire journey.  The hostel has a ranking of the speed, top five of both men and women are around 85-87 km.   Although I so regret not doing it faster, but a lot of girls did it at 20.

To conclude, it is actually not that dangerous.  The girl run fast today completed it intact.  I think people who would get some scratch only if, they got panic and lose stability, or they want to break the record so they lift their feet, but when they almost reach the end, their can't hold their heels up, then you will fall, or roll.  The girl in the picture rolled five times.

After the sliding, you will get all dirty, from head to feet, you will need to wash your entire body insider out two three times, as all rocks will get inside your cloth, even bra, and your ears too.

I stayed at Bigfoot Hostel in Leon, the other hot hostel is Via Via, just on the opposite side of Bigfoot.  6 USD pet bed in dorm.  I picked Bigfoot as it let you use the kitchen.  I joined the tour hosted by the hostel and it seems that people staying in other places also come here for this tour.  Maximum for the tour is 24 people today, and sometimes it will be fully booked.  My friend registered a tour with a charity, but it turned out being cancelled as too few people joined the tour.  There was only one group today, so for this activity, just come to Bigfoot.

The tour is 23 USD, and you will pay 5 USD admission additionally.  Tour cost includes transportation, guide, beer ( on the way back to town) and two mojitos ( in the hostel).  Believe me, when you get this done, you will really need some alcohol to cool down your excitement.

Please check
Thrill seeker's bucket list: 50 experiences to try before you die

西嶽
長空棧道is number 4

0 意見 :